The Guinness Book of World Records is the ultimate authority when it comes to documenting the most fascinating and interesting achievements from all over the world.
For African individuals, it is a platform to showcase their talents and unique abilities to the world. Here are the top 10 Africans in the Guinness Book of World Records:
1. Ashrita Furman – Nigeria: Ashrita has broken over 700 world records and holds the title of the most world records broken by an individual. Some of his records include balancing a lawnmower on his chin and walking the fastest mile on stilts.
2. Julius Yego – Kenya: Julius holds the world record for the longest javelin throw without a run-up. He achieved this by throwing the javelin 87.83m at the 2015 World Championships in Beijing, China.
3. Kipchoge Keino – Kenya: Kipchoge is a former Olympic athlete who has won six Olympic medals, four of which are gold. He holds the world record for the greatest distance run in an hour, covering a distance of 20.8 km.
4. Hendrik Helmer – Zimbabwe: Hendrik holds the record for the loudest scream, which reached an astounding 137dB. Hendrik was able to generate this loud scream using his vocal cords and diaphragm.
5. Charlene Wittstock – South Africa: Charlene is a former Olympic athlete and currently Princess of Monaco. She holds the world record for the longest indoor swim, covering a distance of 125 metres in 3 minutes and 34 seconds.
6. Aliko Dangote – Nigeria: Aliko is a Nigerian businessman and philanthropist. He holds the record for the largest cement manufacturer in Africa and the largest sugar cane plantation in Nigeria.
7. Kofi Annan – Ghana: Kofi Annan was a Ghanaian diplomat who served as the seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations. He holds the record for being the first African to serve as UN Secretary-General.
8. Victor Moses – Nigeria: Victor holds the record for the most penalties scored in a single season in the English Premier League. He scored all his penalties during the 2016/2017 season while playing for Chelsea FC.
9. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – Nigeria: Chimamanda is a renowned Nigerian writer who holds the record for selling the most books by a Nigerian author. Her book “Half of a Yellow Sun” has sold over a million copies worldwide.
10. Wole Soyinka – Nigeria: Wole Soyinka is a Nigerian playwright, poet, and essayist who holds the record for being the first African to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. He won the prize in 1986 for his body of work.
These individuals have achieved greatness in their respective fields and their accomplishments have been documented in the Guinness Book of World Records.
They serve as inspirations to future generations of Africans, proving that with hard work, determination, and talent, anything is possible.