University Of Ghana

The University of Ghana is the oldest and largest of the thirteen Ghanaian national public universities. It was founded in 1948, in the British colony of the Gold Coast, as the University of College of the Gold Coast, and was originally an affiliated college of the University of London, which supervised its academic program programs and awarded degrees.

After independence in 1957, the college was renamed the University College of Ghana. It changed its name again to the University of Ghana in 1961 when it gained full university status. The University of Ghana is situated on the West view of the Accra Legon Hills and at the northeast of the center of Accra. It has over 40,000 registered students.

The original emphasis on establishing the University of Ghana was on the liberal arts, social sciences, law, basic science, agriculture, and medicine. However, as part of a national educational reform program, the university’s curriculum was expanded to provide more technology-based and vocational courses as well as postgraduate training.

The University of Ghana which is mainly based in Legon, about 12 kilometers northeast of the center of Accra has its medical school in the town called Korle-Bu, with a teaching hospital and a secondary/external campus in the city of Accra.

It also has a graduate school of nuclear and Allied Science at the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission, making it one of the few universities on the African continent offering programs in nuclear physics and nuclear engineering.

Leave a Comment